Monty Crawford is Of Counsel in Caplin & Drysdale’s Complex Litigation and Bankruptcy practice groups.
Mr. Crawford focuses his practice primarily on complex commercial litigation, governmental investigations, and international disputes. He advises a broad range of individual and corporate clients in state, federal, and international matters and has appeared before federal and state courts across the country.
Select examples of Mr. Crawford’s representations include:
- obtaining an award in excess of $250 million on behalf of a national corporation in the Southern District of New York Bankruptcy Court;
- representing a national financial company in the Municipal Derivatives Bid-Rigging MDL in the Southern District of New York;
- advising a national telecommunications company in class action filed in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida involving alleged overcharges of federal, state, and local taxes;
- representing a national corporation in investigation brought by SEC arising out of the use of quantitative models in mutual funds and annuities with a value in excess of $13 billion;
- counseling a global corporation in internal investigation into company's compliance with United States sanctions laws in response to enforcement action by Office of Foreign Asset Control;
- representing a national corporation in investigation brought by 36 states into the company's advertising practices, including the defense of lawsuits brought by six of those states involving claims of false advertising and unfair business practices;
- advising a Turkish natural gas company in multi-million dollar international arbitration in London against a Dutch corporation relating to alleged breaches of contract and ownership interests in natural gas fields; and
- representing a national corporation in an arbitration relating to enforceability of multi-billion dollar contract relating to the provision of information technology and telecommunication services.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Crawford practiced international and commercial litigation and white collar criminal defense at an international law firm for more than twenty-five years. He serves as the chair of the International Law Committee of the Maryland State Bar Association. Mr. Crawford formally served as a lecturer on international litigation at the University of Maryland Law School.
Admissions & Education
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 1994, Editor of University of Chicago Law Review
B.A., Bucknell University, 1991
Visiting Scholar, Oxford University, 1989-90
Professional Activities & Affiliations
Other Professional Affiliations
Member, American Bar Association
Chair, Maryland State Bar Association, International Law Committee
Newsroom & Publications
Publications & Alerts
- The Impact of Republic of Argentina v. NML Capital, Ltd.: Why the Supreme Court's Ruling Against Argentina Avoided a Host of Unintended, Negative Consequences05.06.2015 | Maryland Journal of International Law, Article