Heather Schafroth joined Caplin & Drysdale’s International Tax Group as an Associate in 2020.
Ms. Schafroth's practice focuses on advising individuals and businesses on a broad range of tax issues with a particular focus on international tax and transfer pricing planning and advocacy for corporate clients.
Before graduating from Harvard Law School, Ms. Schafroth earned undergraduate degrees in classics and chemical engineering at Iowa State University and a Ph.D. degree in chemical engineering at Princeton University.
Ms. Schafroth served as a law clerk to Judge Timothy B. Dyk of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and to Judge Judith W. Rogers of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. During law school she worked as a summer law intern in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
Ms. Schafroth worked as a litigator and in-house counsel before attending New York University Law School’s Graduate Tax Program as an M. Carr Ferguson Scholar. While attending NYU, she worked as a research assistant to NYU Law School 2019-2020 Global Professor of Law Michael Kobetsky.
Admissions & Education
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
LL.M. , New York University School of Law, 2020, M. Carr Ferguson Scholar
J.D., Harvard Law School, 2008, cum laude
Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Princeton University, 2003, Wu Fellow
B.S. & B.A., Iowa State University, 1996, Tau Beta Pi, Phi Beta Kappa
Law Clerk, Honorable Judith W. Rogers, U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit, 2009-2010
Law Clerk, Honorable Timothy B. Dyk, U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2008-2009
Newsroom & Publications
- 09.27.2023 | London
- Peter Barnes and Heather Schafroth Explore Pillar Two at Yoon & Yang Meeting02.06.2023 | Virtual
Publications & Alerts
- 02.08.2024 | International Tax Alert
- The Supreme Court Will Review the Constitutionality of Section 965 in Moore v. United States; Should Taxpayers Who Paid the Tax Seek a Refund?07.24.2023 | Tax Alert
- 08.17.2021 | International Tax Alert
- Reverse Claw-Backs Revisited: IRS Issues Post-Altera Guidance on Adjustments for Stock-Based Compensation Costs and Cost Sharing Arrangements07.22.2021 | International Tax Alert
- 02.26.2021 | Virginia Tax Review, Article
- 01.28.2021 | IBFD International Transfer Pricing Journal, Article
- 11.23.2020 | International Tax Alert