An Order of the Coif graduate of the University of Virginia School of Law, Amanda Leon joined Caplin & Drysdale's Washington, D.C., office as an Associate in the Private Client, International Tax, and Tax Controversy practice groups. Ms. Leon was a participant in the firm's Summer Associate Program in 2015 and 2016. Her practice includes:
- advising high-net-worth individuals on tax-related issues, including asset valuations, estate tax situs rules, and changes in the method of accounting;
- defending clients facing civil and criminal tax proceedings brought by the Internal Revenue Service; and
- helping U.S. taxpayers come into compliance with their U.S. tax obligations.
Ms. Leon also maintains a license as a Certified Public Accountant in the State of Illinois.
While at the University of Virginia School of Law (UVA Law), Ms. Leon won first place in the International Fiscal Association USA Branch 2016 Writing Competition. Her paper, “If the Commission ‘LOBs’ a Pitch to the ECJ, Will It Strike Out Again?”, looks at a 2015 European Commission infringement action against the Netherlands and explains how a potential court case stemming from that action could have a major impact on international tax law. Moreover, Ms. Leon was part of the UVA Law team that won Best Pleading Team in the 2017 KU Leuven International and European Tax Moot Court, which is awarded for highest overall oral argument scores. She also won Best Oral Team for the Defendant with her co-counsel.
During law school, Ms. Leon was on the Editorial Board for the Virginia Law Review and was a member of The Raven Society. Upon graduation, she was a recipient of the Edwin S. Cohen Tax Prize.
Prior to attending law school, Ms. Leon served as an AmeriCorps member while attending the University of Notre Dame and worked as a Multistate Tax Consultant at a large international public accounting and consulting firm.
Admissions & Education
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2017, Order of the Coif, Virginia Law Review
B.A.A., University of Notre Dame, 2012, summa cum laude, Beta Gamma Sigma
Professional Activities & Affiliations
Other Professional Affiliations
Member, American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Sections of Taxation, and Real Property, Trust and Estate Law
Newsroom & Publications
- 01.28.2022 | Law360 Tax Authority
- 12.27.2021 | Tax Notes
- 12.07.2020 | UVA Law
- 03.08.2019 | Caplin & Drysdale
- 04.21.2017 | Awards & Rankings
- 01.05.2017 | University of Virginia School of Law, Awards & Rankings
- 06.03.2022 | Ritz-Carlton, Washington D.C.
- Amanda Leon Explores Recent Developments in GloBE & BEPS at Pacific Rim Tax Conference05.16.2022 | Grand Bay San Francisco Hotel
- 04.18.2022 | Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- Amanda Leon Addresses The Corporate Transparency Act at TEI Midyear Conference03.21.2022
- Clark Armitage and Amanda Leon Discuss BEAT, GILTI and FDII at International Monetary Fund Meeting05.23.2018
Publications & Alerts
- Ready or Not, It's Time for Transparency FinCEN Proposes Rules to Implement Beneficial Ownership Reporting Requirements12.17.2021 | International Tax Alert
- 07.20.2020 | International Tax Alert
- 07.01.2019 | International Tax Alert
- 05.01.2018 | Virginia Law Review
- 12.12.2017 | Tax Alert
- 11.06.2017 | Tax Alert
- Reconsidering European Court of Justice Jurisprudence on Limitation on Benefits Clauses: Why the U.S. Should Care02.10.2017 | 46 TM Int'l J. 83, Bloomberg BNA Tax Management International Journal, Article