Staff Accountant – Washington, D.C. Office
Job Title: Staff Accountant FSLA: Non-exempt
Division: Accounting Reports to: Finance Director
Summary: Performs a variety of accounting duties according to established policies and procedures, in order to maintain accurate financial and billing records and reports. Observes confidentiality of client and law office matters. Primarily processes accounts payable vouchers, manages Firm’s daily cash accounting, and ensures proper recording and reporting of revenues and expenses. In absence of the Billing Coordinators, must be able to process client invoices. Will develop the ability to work with petty cash, general ledger maintenance, fixed assets management, accounts receivable monitoring and bank reconciliations. Will assist the Finance Director and Firm Administrator as needed with various functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: “essential functions” are primarily job duties that incumbent must be able to perform with on-the-job instruction from the employer.
- Prepares all accounts payable vouchers from input into accounting system to mailing payments. Provides accounts payable maintenance including maintaining client vendors in accounting system, reviews outstanding checks, obtaining 1099s and fielding inquiries regarding payments. Additionally, ensures monthly processing of all regular expenses, and monitors and contacts department heads if monthly invoices have not been submitted.
- Works directly with Finance Director to initiate daily ACH and Fed Wire payments through banking system.
- Manages daily cash processes, reporting and balancing.
- In absence of the Billing Coordinators, assists with originating pre-bills on a monthly basis and upon request for review by billing attorneys in the Firm. Assists with edits to pre-bills, transferring time, processing write up and write down requests.
- Maintains files pertinent to duties and documents internal processes and workflow.
- Performs analysis and diagnosis of accounting and client affairs.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of accounting and financial management principles normally acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance. (4-year degree required)
- Excellent mathematical skills and ability to analyze and interpret accounting data.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with a diverse group of attorneys and staff and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Ability to work well under pressure and within short deadlines.
- Ability to demonstrate impeccable integrity in fiduciary matters and working on a high level of confidentiality.
- Highly organized individual accustomed to managing multiple priorities.
- Flexibility to work overtime as needed.
The above is intended to describe the general contact of and requirements for the performance of the job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Potential candidates, please send your resumes to Karla Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org.