Paralegal - Junior Level - Washington, D.C.
JOB TITLE: Paralegal – Junior Level
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
DIVISION: Tax Controversy (IRS Administrative Examinations and Litigation)
REPORTS TO: Attorneys and Firm Administrator
SUMMARY: Caplin & Drysdale is seeking a detailed-oriented junior level Tax Controversy paralegal with 2 or more years of experience who can multi-task. Primary responsibilities will be to collaboratively prepare IRS forms and submissions; and to respond to IRS Information Document Requests (IDRs) and litigation filings. This individual will also be asked to assist attorneys with preparations for meetings and presentations as needed and will be required to work a minimum of 3 days a week in the DC office (and potentially more depending on the workload).
Potential candidates, please send your resume to Karla Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified applicants must have:
- At least 2+ years of recent experience as a paralegal. Tax related litigation experience would be a plus.
- Exceptional organizational and file management skills.
- Familiarity with state and federal tax concepts or tax returns, financial records, formation of corporate and non-corporate entities, and basic corporate documents is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work overtime and travel as needed is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to ensure proper docketing and timely filing of tax returns and court papers, and to E-File is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to prepare and send correspondence, including composing transmittal letters.
- Ability to cite-check (according to The Bluebook).
- Basic to intermediate understanding of using Relativity or some other litigation support software is preferred, but not required.
- Intermediate to advanced understanding of Word, familiarity with Excel, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and PowerPoint important.
- Ability to speak and interact positively with clients, attorneys, governmental agencies, accountants/advisors banks, and other financial institutions.
- Ability to supervise all aspects of a project from copying and quality checking to filing and making sure documents are properly distributed to the attorney group.
- Ability to search Lexis-Nexis, and Westlaw is preferred, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Paralegal certificate preferable.
These are primarily job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable assistance or training provided by the Firm. The job may involve light lifting.